Friday, July 09, 2004

Sharapova Mania

Now, I am as big a fan of a rags to riches as the next guy, but am I the only one who thinks that people are making WAY too much of Maria Sharapova's star power. Ok sure, she has won Wimbeldon at 17 and she was a fantastic player during the tournament, but lest we forget that the top 2 players in the world (Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin) are out with injury problems. Also, the Williams sisters have not been playing at top form during the tournament either, and they have just come back from injury problems. I'd like to wait for Ms. Sharapova to win a couple more Slams before we can announce that she is indeed the Second Coming. If only for her sake, the girl is 17 after all, and I would hate to see her amazing play undermined by all the media attention. Just look at what happened to poor Anna Kournikova (who I'm sure has some sort of Sharapova vodoo doll tucked away in Enrique's love nest) who is no longer the Russian Tennis IT Girl. Nevertheless, the women's final this year was the most exciting tennis I have seen since the days of Seles Vs Graff oh so many years ago, and that is a good thing. I think Sharapova is GREAT, but lets just hold back a bit, shall we.


Anyway, here's the BBC story that sparked this rant on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home