Thursday, July 22, 2004

My thoughts on the Mercury Music Prize Nominations

Well, its an interesting bunch, the word 'populist' has been thrown around. I think the three strong female vocalists here (Joss Stone, Jamelia and Amy Winehouse) will cancel each other out. Ditto the two Coldplay heir apparents (Keane and Snow Patrol). Basement Jaxx and Belle & Sebastian are veteran acts who I don't think have a shot at winning, but its nice to see them here. My money is on Mike Skinner's The Streets walking away with it, he is hot at the minute, much in the same way that Ms Dynamite was hot a couple of years back. And I do like both singles from the album, though I haven't heard it yet. Franz Ferdinand are the current faves, and I won't be surprised if they won as well. I am not really familiar with Ty, Robert Wyatt or The Zutons, so no comment where they are concerned. Here's the list : Mercury Music Prize 2004 shortlist:
  • Basement Jaxx - Kish Kash
  • Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
  • Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
  • Jamelia - Thank You
  • Keane - Hopes and Fears
  • Snow Patrol - Final Straw
  • Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions
  • The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
  • Ty - Upwards
  • Amy Winehouse - Frank
  • Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland
  • The Zutons - Who Killed The Zuton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home