Sunday, December 18, 2005

Things That Make You Go Hmmm ....

I was having a conversation with a friend and he pointed out that I am a 'List' person, which I am. That is why I love this time of year, its a good excuse to make lists, as evidence by my recent Top Songs of 2005 entry. I love making lists so much that I can probably do a list of Reasons Why I Love Lists, but that might be a bit OTT. Anyway, here are the top 5 things that baffled me in 2005:

5. Sienna Miller

I am likely the type of person who should adore Sienna. She's really pretty and she has that 'IT' girl factor about her. The problem is that she is way more famous than she should be, she has only been in two films of note (Layer Cake and Alfie) and neither of them were major Box Office hits. Not sure why women want to emulate her style either, as she looks really frumpy all the time. This woman is famous more than anything because of her relationship to Jude Law, and the fact that he cheated on her has elevated her rather too quickly into the 'jilted lover' role that Nicole Kidman used to great effect a few years ago. I am officially BORED.

4. Desperate Housewives

Ok, I agree that its a reasonably good tv show, and there are some funny lines in it and it does have the Sex And The City of empowered women element to it. Watch the repeats however and you'll realise that this show is mainly fluff and not that greatly acted. And God help us, not only has it revived Nicolette Sheridan's career but it also inflicted us with Eva Langoria and countless interviews about her sex life. This must stop.

3. George W. Bush

From his nomination of Harriet Mier, to his mishandling of the Iraq War and its political fallout to his adminstrations clearly 'vague' rules about torture, I am amazed with Bush's ability to just push through his right wing agenda with no regard for the consequences. I cannot beleive we still have a few more years left with this guy in charge of the most powerful country in the world.

2. Crazy Frog

The Crazy Frog had one of the biggest selling singles of 2005, who bought this shit ?

1. Kate Moss

Ok, I can sort of understand how the papers love using the term 'Cocaine Kate' and now they are all happy that they will be able to do so from now until the end of eternity. And I can sort of get how her relationship to Pete Doherty can cause a bit of interest. What amazes is me is the hypocrisy of the whole situation, I am a 30 year old man (around the same age as Kate) living in London with a fairly reasonable income coming in. I can guarantee that even without knowing them that the people who condemned Kate are people who have taken charlie at least once in their life. Its everywhere in London and taking coke is as readily acceptable as downing a shot of sambuca on a Friday night at the pub. Its truly baffling how big this story became, and I am glad that it has died out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home